Every crime and assault on campus will be fully investigated by the proper authorities, including the Campus Security Department, the Vice President of Student Life, and the local police department if local authorities are called to the scene.

If you witness a crime in progress on campus, contact Campus Security at 417.626.1200 who will then notify local authorities. Victims may make a voluntary report of the crime with the forms in the Resource Handouts area.


  • Tell someone you know and can trust.
  • Call a friend or family member you trust.
  • Go to a hospital and tell emergency personnel that you have been sexually assaulted. Take the clothes you were wearing and a set of clean clothes. Don't shower or bathe before you go.
  • Report the assault. If in a residence hall, contact the RDs or RAs. You may report to Campus Security or the Vice President of Student Life. If off-campus, call 911. Reporting the assault does NOT commit you to filing charges.
  • Always remember, it is NOT your fault.
  • For emergency medical treatment, call 911.
  • Consult this list of date rape drugs and other information on sexual assault and prevention.


(Adapted from the Freeman SANE program brochure)

  1. Find a safe place away from the attacker. Stay with a trusted friend or family member.
  2. Know that what happened was not your fault and now you can do what is best for you.
  3. Report the assault by calling 911 or your local law enforcement agency.
  4. To preserve evidence of the attack, don't change your clothes, bathe, or brush your teeth.
  5. Write down any details you can remember about the assault and the attacker.
  6. Seek medical attention. Even if you may never report the assault or have no physical injuries, it's important to determine the risks of pregnancy or infection.
  7. Recognize that healing from sexual assault will take time. Try not to rush the healing process.
  8. Even if the assault happened years ago, know that it's never too late to call for help.


  • Health Services: Health Services are available to all current students and can provide a range of medical care to students (417.626.1213)
  • Counseling Services: Mental health services and counselors are available to all current students in need of support (417.626.1213)


  • Freeman Hospital: Freeman is a full-service medical center serving the Joplin community. Freeman has a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) trained in the collection and preservation of evidence in cases of sexual assault. 417.347.SANE (7263)
  • Mercy Hospital: Mercy is a full-service medical center serving the Joplin community. 417.781.2727
  • Choices Medical Clinic: Choices is a medical clinic and resource center offering free, confidential support for those who are facing a sexual crisis. (417.624.8030 or 774.277.8748 -text line)
  • Lafayette House: Lafayette House provides crisis support, housing, advocacy, and legal assistance to women and children (417.782.1772)
  • Ozark Center Crisis Services: Ozark Center offers 24/7 support to those who are experiencing a personal, emotional, or mental health crisis including domestic situations involving violence or threats of violence to others (417.347.7220)
  • Haven Counseling: Haven Counseling is a ministry of Christ's Church of Oronogo and offers a fully licensed counseling center for those in need of crisis counseling or ongoing counseling support (417.673.0090)


Local Resources for Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Church/Ministry-Based Options:

Highly Intensive Support Options: